Sunday, June 27, 2004

The Notebook

I went to see this movie, 'The Notebook', with a friend today. I think it was well-made. I am not going to do a review of the movie here. But, at the end of the movie, all the women in the theatre were crying, while I was really happy. I was happy to see that my theory about women was proving to be correct. Women are more sensitive to emotions and are better feelers than men. I've already expressed my thoughts on it in 'Daughters of Eve'.

After the movie, my friend asked me if I believed in true love. I was startled by this question coming from a person who has a PhD in psychology. Its not about true or false love. Its about a reality of our lives. Love is not magic. Its a scientific phenomenon. I told her that the biggest flaw in human beings was that we only wanted to hear good things. If reality doesn't sound too pleasing, it might as well wait.

Love is a force, just like many other social forces in the human world. I ask you this: How else would you put a man and a woman, who may come from two entirely disparate backgrounds, together to raise a family? How?

Love is neither a luxury, nor a privilege. It is an embedded mechanism, that pushes people to seek companionship. But look at how it works. Talking scientifically, an adult male would not be attracted towards a toddler female, nor would he be attracted to a 70 year old grandma. Why? They are females, they have souls, they could be 'beautiful'. So goes the case for adult females. By the time our biologies are ready for reproduction, this urge called love strikes us. We think we are doing it. The fact is that we were bound to do it.

Love is a facilitator sentiment. It facilitates a mother in taking care of her children. It facilitates a man and a woman to compromise and be bonded as a family. It facilitates the children in caring for the parents.

I would like to add that human beings are different in their adoptation of love. The degree to which a person 'can go crazy' in love varies from person to person. Not everybody is capable of becoming intimate. The reasons go back to genetic, nurture, and cultural elements. I told my friend that when she would start her own counselling practice, she will come across many cases of broken love. Those would be the examples of love-misused.

Love is a wonderful emotion, though. It has the ability to give us our greatest joys, and our greatest pains.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home